Ontario Winter Fun
Many of the towns and cities north of Toronto offer an array of winter outdoor sporting and recreational activities for kids or families. At 400 Eleven we encourage visitors to head north where the snow is fresher, cleaner and deeper. Make sure to dress accordingly with proper winter coats and gear, as well as take winter safety precautions before heading out. Check out the ski snow road conditions.
Top 10 Winter Family Favourites
2. Maple Syrup Festivals: Early Spring or late winter in March towards the end of the winter season and offer up a great family experience with sleigh rides, maple syrup tasting, snow maple fudge where hot syrup is poured on fresh snow–a truly Canadian event. Get out and enjoy one of the many Maple Syrup Festivals north of Toronto. Many resort destinations will be producing Maple Sap during the Spring March Break Getaway season.
4. Dog Sledding: Experience a dog sledding adventure at a winter carnival or at one of the many resort destinations north with a dog sledding getaway.
5. Snow Forts and Igloos: Building snow forts, or igloos. Many Ontario resorts have special winter family getaways with outdoor activities.
6. Birdwatching: Nature Viewing-bird watching-migration of waterfowl as birds look for open water. Kids love to feed the birds. See outdoor nature attractions and adventures.
7. Ice fishing: A bonus for families during free family fishing weekend (Family Day weekend in February) to enjoy an ice fishing getaway.
8. Winter Bonfire: Enjoying an outdoor bonfire! Kids love to roast marshmallows and sip hot chocolate after an outdoor winter activity or adventure.
9. Skiing: Downhill skiing or cross country skiing either at organized ski area destinations or in the case of x-country one can always head out on natural trails or make your own trails. Check Ski, Snow, and Snowboard reports
10. Snowshoeing: This can be an exhilarating activity depending on the pace. A slower pace is recommended for families with younger children. A variety of light-weight snow shoes make the snowshoeing a lot easier today. Many snow destinations have snowshoe rentals or in some cases include snowshoes are included in snowshoe getaway packages.
More Winter Activities
11. Tobogganing & Sleigh Rides: Lots of hills and thrills north of Toronto with many resorts offering horse drawn sleigh rides.
12: Winter Carnivals: See ice sculptures, experience all of the fun winter activities that you can imagine in a winter carnival wonderland North.
13. Outdoor Ice Hockey: Grab a hockey stick and a game of shinny or broom ball at a rink north of Toronto at resorts or in the many towns and cities.
14. Try Something New: When was the last you went mountain biking in the snow? This year try a Fat Bike on the trails.
Family Day Winter Fun
Family Day in Ontario is on the third Monday in February allowing for a family long weekend in the Winter Season. This is a great opportunity for families to embrace the Canadian winter experience and there is no better place than Ontario. There are 100’s of winter getaway packages available. See winter in Ontario Family Day photo gallery for more winter family getaway ideas.