Fall in Ontario is a time for a romantic autumn leaf color road trip to areas north of Toronto. September and October fall getaway trips can be the most enjoyable especially over weekends during the fall fair season.
Hike or Walk on Trails of Fall Colour
Autumn travel can be a colorful experience. However, sitting in your vehicle for long periods of time is not good for your circulation. Hiking or walking on a trails to see the beautiful fall colours is the best way to exercise. Walk and feel the crunch of fall leaves, explore, bike and play along the way. Bend over and pick up fall leaves and look closely at the colours. Challenge the kids to a scavenger hunt for the best colored maple leaf.
- Explore a roadside attraction with picnic tables beside a river or stream
- Plan to hike a nature trail, take the appropriate shoes, extra pants, hat, sun screen. Hiking Getaway Packages
- Bring your bikes—mountain bikes for off road riding in fall can be refreshing. Mountain Bike Getaway Packages
- Look into public beaches, or lakeside walking trails not too far from the major highways
- Take a camera, extra batteries, extra discs—you don’t want to miss the perfect fall color (colour) shot
- Take your binoculars as there are many birding and wildlife viewing opportunities in the fall or simply get a close up on the autumn scenery and
- Bring plastic bags in case you want to take home the perfect fall colours with a maple leaf, or other favorite autumn leaves
- Stop at a travel information centre and make sure you have the local maps to keep you on track during your fall foliage tour
- Take bottles of water to avoid dehydration
- Try some local foods and produce at a farmers’ market, or country fair not just fast foods
- For the kids take a football, soccer ball, balls and gloves, butterfly net
- Attend a fall fair or a fall studio tour along your fall drive north
- When travelling with pets who have medical problems or are sensitive to allergies please check in advance local veterinarian services in case of emergency.
- Check the featured romantic road trip for updates of the week for updates…it may be just what you are looking for.
Fall Colour Routes
- Alliston Nottawasaga Valley-Hockley Valley-Alton-Caledon
- Algonquin Park Area Fall Colour Drives-Choice of 3 routes
- Lake Simcoe-Round the Lake, Barrie, Orillia Fall Colours
- Georgian Bay Fall Colour Routes
- Highway 12 to Midland Ontario
- Muskoka Fall Colour Road Trips
- Barrie to Orangeville Fall Colours Route
- Haliburton – Huntsville Fall Colours Route
- Lake Simcoe Fall Colours Circle Tour
- Lake Ontario Shores From Grafton to Picton
- Lakefield to Barry’s Fall Colours Bay
- Land O’Lakes: Lennox Addington Fall Historic Tour
- North Bay to Timmins, Gogama, Sudbury, North Bay Fall Colors (Colours)
- North Bay – Sudbury Fall Route colours (colors)
- Peterborough – Kawarthas Fall Route colours
- Sault Ste. Marie Fall Route Colours
Fall Colour News Ontario Travel North
Fall Colour Cruises Ontario Canada
Enjoy the fall colours from Ontario Lakes and Rivers during the autumn months up to Thanksgiving weekend. Cruises from Port Severn (Trent-Severn Waterway), Midland (Georgian Bay), North Bay (Lake Nipissing) See getaway packages for fall colour cruises
See the latest conditions fall colour leaf changes with reports from Ministry of Tourism Fall Colour Reports for North of Toronto, and if you plan on visiting a Provincial Park check out the Fall Parks Report.